halloween isn’t exactly known for being a health-conscious holiday. and let’s be honest, no matter how good our intentions, we all rummage around through our kids’ halloween haul or the office candy bowl sneakily seeking out sweet treats. (just can’t resist those mini snickers or twizzlers? try our gobble this, wiggle that workout to keep yourself on-track. remember, moderation people!)
but what if we told you this halloween didn’t have to be quite as spooky to your health? trade those empty refined-sugar + artificially-flavored lil' devils for homemade treats that will satisfy your sweet tooth while keepin’ it clean. no tricks, just recipes for healthier halloween treats!
toss that: rolos
treat this: [volos - aka vegan rolos]
makes 12 mini cups
3 soaked + pitted medjool dates
1 tbsp buttery coconut oil
1 tbsp almond butter
1 tbsp hot water
pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup cacao powder
3 tbsp maple syrup
toss that: reese’s peanut butter cups
treat this: [peanut butter chia chocolate cups]
makes 6 cups
1/2 cup coconut oil
6 tbsp cacao powder
4 tbsp maple syrup
4 tbsp unsweetened peanut butter
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp chia seeds
pinch of sea salt
1. in a small bowl, melt the coconut oil, cacao powder + maple syrup + stir until smooth.
2. in another small bowl, stir together the peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, chia seeds + sea salt.
3. line a muffin tin with 6 baking cups + spoon just enough chocolate into each to cover the bottoms. refrigerate for a few minutes, until hardened a bit.
4. spoon a little of the peanut butter mixture into each cup + top each with enough chocolate to cover the peanut butter. refrigerate for about an hour, until fully hardened.
toss that: hershey’s mini chocolate bars
treat this: [paleo pumpkin chocolate chip cookies]
recipe courtesy of paleo running mama
makes 24 cookies
⅓ cup creamy almond butter
½ cup organic pumpkin puree
½ cup organic coconut palm sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 ½ cups blanched almond flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch fine grain sea salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
½ cup enjoy life brand dark chocolate morsels
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees + line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the egg, almond butter, pumpkin puree, coconut sugar + vanilla. in a separate mixing bowl, combine the blanched almond flour, sea salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice + baking soda.
3. add the flour mixture to the mixer + stir until combined. stir in the chocolate chips.
4. chill your dough for 15-20 minutes in the fridge.
5. roll into 12 big dough balls, flatten a bit with your palm + place on the cookie sheet. sprinkle tops with a little sea salt.
6. bake 10-12 minutes or until just set.
what’s your favorite healthy halloween treat? tell us in the comments below! try one of these recipes? snap a pic + tag @fitbook on instagram! we would love to see your healthy creations. have a happy + safe halloween, fitbookers!
Comments will be approved before showing up.