did you know that we don’t HAVE to rest on sundays? yeah, it’s news to me too. i always thought the Big Guy (yes, as in God) meant for us to rest on sundays, well because He kinda says so in the bible. i never questioned that, nor was i ever very good at following it either though, i might add. my pastor explained that it doesn’t have to be sunday. it may be saturday, heck it could be tuesday, for all He cares. the day doesn’t matter as much as the action (or in this case, non-action really). God’s pretty clear about this: that we should take a day of rest to recover from working hard all week long – rest our mind, our bodies (yes!), and take time to focus on the important things in life: friends, family, recuperating, and doing nothing at all. no time for a rest day? try it. what i’ve found is that taking that day completely rejuvenates my mind so i’m refreshed for the week ahead. same for my body: my muscles have to have time to recover so they can grow – and so i can mentally prepare for the week’s workouts ahead. speaking of which, this is what we have to look forward to this week:
* front squats 3 rep max – 3 sets of 3 reps, maxing out or “failing” on that last 3 reps.
trainer note: jeff can you explain the science behind doing the 5 rep max in week 1, 3 rep max in week 2, and 1 rep max in week 3? crossfit style.
* “fran” (which i’ve heard of but never attempted…yet!) – circuit thrusters & pull-ups for time doing a 21-15-9 split. so, 21 thrusters, 21 pull-ups, 15 thrusters, 15 pull-ups, 9 thrusters, 9 pull-ups…done!
* bench press 3 rep max, so 3 sets of 3
* 5k on rowing machine
* “lumberjack” (heaven have mercy on me now – this looks ridiculous!!)
20 deadlifts –> run 400m
20 kettlebell swings –> run 400m
20 overhead squats –> run 400m
20 burpees –> run 400m
20 pull-ups –> run 400m
20 box jumps (24″) –> run 400m
20 dumbbell squat cleans –> run 400m
* deadlift 3 rep max, 3 sets of 3 reps
* swim 30 minutes (don’t have access to a pool? run, spin…move!)
* “angie”: 100 pull-ups, 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats…NO partitioning, meaning you have to complete all reps of an exercise till you move onto the next. i have a feeling this might be torture!
yes, i have an affinity for this one given that it’s my crossfit namesake, however those that know me past high school as “angie mader” know i just prefer “ang” or angela”. thank you. and by the looks of this workout, i may not like this chica after doing it!
* pilates class (1-hour)
* 3 rep max overhead press, so 3 sets of 3 reps
my “sabbath” or rest day is usually saturday (from a work perspective). i work late friday nights and by saturday i’m spent, taking that day to piddle around the house, do laundry, read a book…blog. whatever i feel like. that usually lasts into sunday when i saunter into church fully rested, leave restored, and usually head right to a coffee shop to work. however, sunday is almost ALWAYS the day i take off from workouts…it gives my body time to recover before monday! what’s your routine? what works for you?
so enjoy thine self this glorious weekend and take a moment to relax, rejuvenate, and join me as we hit the ground running into week TWO of this 28-day crossfit kickstart!
Comments will be approved before showing up.